Saturday, November 26, 2011

Thoughts from Charlie

Charlie is booked in for the enucleation surgery this coming Monday at 9:30am. We have to be at TO Sick Kids by 7:30. Adrian and I have mixed feelings, but once its all over I am sure things will start to feel “normal” again. God has given us so many blessings during the last two weeks, and has given us a deeper appreciation for our family and church family.

Some people ask us what Charlie thinks about the last two weeks and how he has been handling it. We think he has been doing very well. The first week when we were going from doctor to doctor I would find him laying on the floor often with his bear, and he was very weepy. I am sure he could feel the stress we had. This week he is a lot more hyper the normal, he has been getting some extra attention. Which we don’t mind at all. : ) We are quite open with him about what is happening. He has always handled situations better if he knows what is going to happen in advance. We always tell him to ask us any questions he has.
One of my friends thought I should write some of the things he has asked/told us. So some thoughts from a very “matter-a-fact” four year old.

“There is a bad guy in my eye, and the doctors need to take it out. Then the policemen will shoot the bad guy and throw it in the garbage.”

“Will there be lots of blood when they take my eye? Will they cut me? I don’t want a robot eye”

“They will give me a new eye so the bad guy does not go in my body, because they can’t give new brains”

“When I get a new eye I don’t have to eat my salad anymore”

“Glasses keep my good eye safe. I look handsome!”

“The bad guy’s name is cancer”


We had a big talk about how awesome robots were, so now he is starting to think that having a robot eye would be pretty cool.
I look forward to tomorrow, a quiet Sunday. & to those who really know me....I will try not to take a million pictures of him. : )

I hope you have a blessed Sunday,
Kate

6 comments:

  1. Aww, those quotes are just adorable. And my word, is he ever a handsome little man with those glasses! Wishing you a day filled with peace and acceptance, as no doubt this will be a time that you will long remember and look back on. All the best on Monday, you and your son will be carried in prayer by all those whose lives you have touched. May He make all things well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be saying a prayer for Charlie and for your family on Monday.
    I have been honest with my kids about cancer and while I try to make it age appropriate I tell the truth. This is a letter that my 7 year old wrote about his brothers cancer.

    http://adjust-the-sails.blogspot.com/2011/04/cancer-according-to-little-brother-with.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. we'll be praying for the extra measure of grace you'll need to get through these big changes ahead. may you feel surrounded by love & comfort that only our great God can give. praying that all goes well with the surgery & recovery also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. praying for you, Charlie, for today, and the next couple of weeks. And that today goes fast, the waiting doesn't seem so long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying for your family and Charlie today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope everything went okay on Monday...Totally understand that updating your blog is fairly low on your 'to do' list, but just wanted to say I think of you often and you are in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete